- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Mini Medical School II, March/April 2002
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Mini Medical School, March/April 2001
- Detroit College of Law, Detroit, MI, J.D.,1986
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, B.A., 1973
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1986
U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan, 1986
- Senior Status
- t: 248.746.2803
- f: 248.746.2822
Joseph F. Babiarz, Jr., is an experienced trial attorney, having tried more than fifty medical malpractice trials, forty-nine of which resulted in a verdict of no cause for action in favor of his clients.
Joseph concentrates his practice in the areas of medical malpractice, nursing home malpractice, hospital liability, extended care liability, and general liability. His cases typically involve high liability exposure amounts and complex issues pertaining to claims of catastrophic injury or death as a result of alleged malpractice on the part of physicians and healthcare providers.
He has published several articles on the topic of medical malpractice and frequently lectures on how to avoid medical and nursing home malpractice claims.
Joseph is a former partner in the Michigan law firm of Plunkett Cooney.
- Successfully defended a nursing home wrongful death claim involving allegations of side rail positional asphyxia
- Successfully defended an adult foster care facility in a wrongful death claim where plaintiff’s decedent was murdered while out for a walk in the community. Plaintiff alleged that the facility failed to properly monitor and supervise a mentally disturbed resident
- Successfully defended several alleged failure to timely diagnose and treat breast cancer cases where plaintiffs’ demand to the jury was $1 million
- Successfully defended a claim in which plaintiff alleged the defendant hospital failed to comply with national experimental protocols in the treatment of breast cancer and lymphedema
- Successfully defended a birth trauma case involving paraplegia where plaintiff’s demand to the jury was $15 million
- Successfully defended three physicians before the State of Michigan Board of Medicine Disciplinary Subcommittee
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan State University Alumni Association
- Detroit College of Law Alumni Association
- Economic Club of Detroit
- Oakland County Case Evaluation
- Macomb County Case Evaluation