• Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, IN, J.D., cum laude, 1981
• Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, B.A., with honors in economics, 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1981
- t: 248.746.2733
- f: 248.746.2804
H. William Freeman has more than 30 years of experience in business law and all aspects of real estate law and business law. He is recognized as an authority in real estate development and condominium law. Bill has prepared over one hundred Master Deeds, and assisted in the acquisition and development of hundreds of real estate projects, both market rate and affordable. He has also worked with the formation of the related entities, and has litigated or resolved various real estate and business disputes as required.
Bill represents individuals, builders, developers, lenders, title companies and business entities in development, acquisition, financing and other real estate matters. He has assisted developers of commercial, residential and condominium properties with issues including mixed use, new urban, loft, live/work, affordable housing, LEED and traditional neighborhood development, construction and financing.
He also assists clients in the formation and structure of their businesses.
A prolific author, Bill frequently publishes articles related to his area of practice, including condominiums and affordable housing, mixed-use condominiums, condominium voting and form-based codes.
Bill has been awarded the ranking of Michigan “Super Lawyer,” by Thomson Reuters for the years 2007 through 2013. He was also named a “Top Lawyer” in metro Detroit in 2010 by DBusiness Magazine. He has been awarded and maintains the Martindale AV rating which is the highest rating available. Bill was the recipient of the Leon Hubbard Community Service Award from the Oakland County Bar Association, and the Distinguished Service Award in Real Estate, as well as the Distinguished Service Award to the Housing Industry, both from the Building Industry Association of Southeast Michigan.
Bill is co-chair of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Section Condominium, PUD and Cooperative Committee. Bill is also a Director of the Home Builders Association (HBA) of Southeast Michigan, is a Director of the HBA Charitable and Educational Foundation, and serves on several HBA committees, including the Legislative Committee. He is a member of the Urban Land Institute, Congress for the New Urbanism and American Planning Association.
- Burton Katzman Development Co.
- Dunham’s Athleisure Corporation
- Ferlito Construction, Inc.
- Fram Building Group
- Larson Realty Group
- Marquette Property Investments, Inc.
- Presbyterian Villages of Michigan; Singh Development Co., Inc.
- Slavik Companies
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Former Chairman of the Real Estate Committee of the Oakland County Bar Association
- Currently Co-Chair of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Section Condominium, PUD and Cooperative Committee
- Board Member and Secretary of the Michigan Chapter of the Congress for the New Urbanism
- Director of the Building Industry Association (BIA) of Southeast Michigan
- Director of the BIA Charitable and Educational Foundation, and serves on several BIA committees, including the Legislative Committee
- Member of the Urban Land Institute, Congress for the New Urbanism and Michigan Planning Association