- University of Detroit School of Law, Detroit, MI, J.D. 1984
- Clarence M. Burton Scholar
- Dean’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Executive Editor, University of Detroit Law Review
- National Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition (Chapel Hill, NC)
- Oxford University, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Oxford, England 1982
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT, B.S. Biology 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1985
- Law Clerk to the Honorable James P. Churchill, United States District Court Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1984 - 1985
- t: 248.746.2713
- f: 248.746.2797
Robert T. Smith has more than 30 years of extensive business law, labor and employment law, and related litigation experience, including as in-house counsel and executive for companies involved in automotive manufacturing, equipment financing and staffing services.
Rob maintains a broadly-based business practice, providing expert advice and representation in the full spectrum of legal issues encountered in business, including commercial transactions, contracts, financing, labor and employment, staffing, mergers & acquisitions, employee benefits, health care and cross-border (Mexico) transactions. His representation of clients also includes legal matters related to unionization and union workforces (including picketing, collective bargaining, and contract negotiations), bankruptcy and debtor/creditor issues. He also represents and advocates on behalf of clients in commercial, employment/labor and appellate litigation.
The business sectors with which Rob has extensive experience, both as a lawyer and as a business executive, include automotive, supply chain, manufacturing, equipment financing, personnel staffing services (including human resource outsourcing, managed services, workforce management, payrolling, PEOs, and recruiting and placement of temporaries, contract-to-hires and direct hires).
Rob is a member of the Business Law, Labor and Employment Law, Health Care Law and Litigation Sections of both the American Bar Association and the State Bar of Michigan. Rob also serves on various committees of the American Bar Association, including the Uniform Commercial Code, Commercial and Business Litigation, Business Financing, Employment & Labor Relations, Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking Law and Corporate Governance Committees.
Prior to joining Sullivan Ward, Rob was Vice President and General Counsel of a manufacturer of interior trim products for the automotive industry; Vice President and General Counsel of a provider of staffing services; Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of a provider of leasing and finance programs for resellers, distributors and manufacturers; and President, General Counsel and Secretary of a provider of office equipment and employee training programs. Earlier in his career, Rob was affiliated with two regional law firms in Detroit, Michigan. He also served as Law Clerk to a United States District Court Judge.
News & Insights
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TWENTY-FIVE SULLIVAN WARD ASHER & PATTON ATTORNEYS THAT ARE LISTED IN THE LEADING LAWYERS MAGAZINE, MICHIGAN EDITIONJuly 2017
- CASENOTE, AMERICAN TOBACCO CO. V. PATTERSON, 60 U. DET. L. REV. 696 (1983)
- NOTE, RESOLUTION OF TRUE CONFLICTS WITHOUT VALUE JUDGMENTS: A MODIFIED COMPARATIVE-IMPAIRMENT APPROACH, 61 U. DET. L. REV. 433 (1984)