- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, MI, J.D., 1997, with honors
- Western Michigan University, Grand Rapids, MI, 1994
- Post Baccalaureate Studies for M.B.A.
- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, B.B.A, 1993, with honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1997
- Maryland, 2005
- District of Columbia, 2006
- Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1998
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, 2010
- Board of Directors
- t: 248.746.2772
- f: 248.746.2831
Christopher B. McMahon is a shareholder and member of the Board of Directors, and a trial attorney with 20 years of experience handling construction claims, utility and energy litigation matters, trucking and transportation claims, personal injury and professional malpractice cases, ski industry proceedings, and insurance agent error and omission disputes. He has resolved claims in excess of $50 million in courts and arbitration/mediation forums across the country involving design, construction and personal injury matters.
Christopher’s practice involves all facets of litigation and transactional matters. He represents professionals in construction liability matters, including architects, engineers, owners, contractors and land surveyors. He negotiates and prepares front-end contracts and handles claims for defective workmanship, professional malpractice, breach of contract, lien foreclosure, schedule/delay, product liability and personal injury. He litigates matters involving the full spectrum of infrastructure, including structural, civil, electrical and mechanical design and construction issues involving major public and commercial structures, casinos, hospitals, airports, power plants, bridges, religious institutions, residential homes, stadiums and condominiums.
Among Christopher’s clients are Fortune 500 companies, numerous professional liability and commercial general liability insurers, nationally recognized design professionals, contractors, owners and developers, suppliers, utility companies, transportation companies and private individuals.
Christopher is a member of Michigan Trucking Association and the Construction Association of Michigan (CAM). He speaks frequently at legal and industry seminars and conferences. A prolific author, he has written numerous articles for legal, trade and industry publications.
Frequently recognized for legal excellence, Christopher has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (Woodward/White, Inc.) from 2012 through 2017 in the fields of Construction Law, Litigation and Construction and Personal Injury Litigation, Defendants.
He also has been repeatedly awarded the ranking of Michigan “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters for each of the past 10 years, from 2007 through 2017. He has also earned an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating given to attorneys, recognizing that Christopher has achieved preeminent status demonstrating the highest levels of skill and integrity.
- Successfully represented the owner of a large coal burning steam turbine energy plant in a recent multimillion dollar contractual dispute that arose from extensive damage that occurred as a result of work performed during a major outage on a turbine overhaul project in Michigan. The litigation involved claims which dealt with highly technical aspects of steam generation, design, construction, start-up, and repairs of components at the various stages within the turbine unit.
- Defended an engineering firm involved in the design of a large addition to an existing natural gas-fired, combined-cycle, cogeneration facility. This dispute involved myriad claims which allegedly caused extensive cost overruns and scheduling delays on a fast track project. The matter involved disputes over critical path activities, the impact of project scope creep, and the interrelationship between the design and construction of the project.
- Successfully defended a client in a matter in which the damages claimed were in excess of $20,000,000 attributable to a rupture or leak of a storage container housing liquid asphalt based products. The loss of the liquid asphalt was followed by a massive explosion and fire that occurred during efforts to recover the petroleum based product. This complex litigation matter involved more than one piece of litigation and numerous parties. Our involvement includes the representation of an insurance agent who provided insurance coverage to the owner of the facility, and involves allegations and claims concerning the type, level, and quantity of insurance coverage available under various policies, the interpretation and analysis of various contractual agreements and insurance policies.
- Gained a dismissal for a highway construction contractor involved in a significant personal injury litigation matter arising from a motorcycle accident in a construction zone. Christopher gained dismissal of his client from this matter that was tried with a verdict in the millions of dollars.
News & Insights
- EIGHT SULLIVAN, WARD, ASHER & PATTON, P.C. LAWYERS RECOGNIZED IN THE 2018 EDITION OF THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA©Southfield, Ml, USA –November, 2017
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TWENTY-FIVE SULLIVAN WARD ASHER & PATTON ATTORNEYS THAT ARE LISTED IN THE LEADING LAWYERS MAGAZINE, MICHIGAN EDITIONJuly 2017
- Certifying Application for Payment: A Potential Risk to Design ProfessionalsAE Risk Review, August 2008
- Changing the Statute of LimitationsCAM Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 6, 2006
- Indemnification within the Construction SettingNBI, 2003
- MI Construction Defect & Mold LitigationNBI, 2003
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Michigan Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Construction Industry Forum
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Defense Research Institute
- Construction Association of Michigan